Moving from living in the regret of the past and fear of future to living in the learnings of the past and possibilities of the future.
Unleashing Potential – Making the best of what you have: Om Dhungel Story
Having survived two near-death situations, Om truly understands the value of life and wants everyone to live to their fullest by utilising their full potential. As he calls it, PR got him to where he is today – Perseverance and Resilience are very much integral to his success.
Om helps people put things in perspective by sharing his personal journey of fleeing from the land of “Gross National Happiness” to escape arrest and persecution leaving behind his wife and two and half year old daughter. Rather than despair at the hardship, he then sets out in an inspiring journey volunteering in refugee camps for over six years and helping young people achieve their dreams through his personal mission to “look for gems, help polish them and let them shine”. Always exploring solutions and alternatives to problems that he has encountered in life, particularly as a refugee, Om also shares his experience of “ Solving Problems by Breaking Them into Smaller Parts.
Om says he has found happiness down under and is on a personal mission to spread the ‘Happiness Bug’ by sharing his story.
Om’s presentation is the perfect complement to open or close a conference, motivate staff or provide an inspirational after dinner speech. His story highlights lessons learnt firsthand through lived refugee experience and how they are applicable to business and life in general.
To develop a program that suits your requirement or to engage Om Dhungel, please contact email@example.com.
Major speaking engagements in 2019 include:
- Guest lecture on Refugee settlement and integration in Australia and Strengths-Based Approach to Refugee Settlement to Social Science undergraduate students at Bunko University, Japan – 3 April 2019
- Guest Speaker on Strengths-Based Approach to Refugee Settlement at Japan Association for Refugees in Tokyo, Japan – 4 April 2019
- Guest speaker on Leadership to students undertaking the Humanitarian Leadership Programme at Deakin University, Melbourne – 1 February 2019
Major speaking engagements in 2018 include:
- Delivered a Workshop on “Visible and Powerful – Refugee Voices in a Connected World” at the International Metropolis Conference in Sydney on 1 November 2018. It was delivered jointly with CORE Community Services and Show Me the Way.
- Spoke on “Acceptance and Belonging” at the Refugee Communities in Cultural Transition – Sharing our Stories, STARTTS CICT Forum, Fairfield, 23-24 August 2018
- Panelist at the Jewish Board of Deputies’ Leadership Program in Sydney on 23 July 2018 to discuss different aspects of community leaders and leadership
- Panelist at the Eriterian-Ethopian Community Gala Dinner in Sydney on 22 July 2018 to discuss community engagement, empowerment and leadership
- Key note speaker on Refugee settlement and integration at the Department of Home Affairs’ 2018 Refugee Week launch, 18 June 2018
- Special Guest speaker on Leadership at the UTS Prizes and Scholarships Awards Ceremony: Thursday 14 June 2018
- Spoke on Practitioners Guide to Strengths-Based Approach to Refugee Settlement at the International Symposium on Family and Community Strengths, Newcastle, 30 April – 1 May 2018
- Occasional Speaker at the University of Technology Sydney (UTS) 2018 Autumn Graduation ceremony, 15 May 2018
- International Guest Speaker on Refugee settlement and Integration at the Annual Tripartite Consultation and Working Group on Resettlement in Berlin, 21-23 February 2018. (jointly organised by the German government, UNHCR and Caritas Germany)
- Keynote speaker at Show Me The Way DVD launch at the NSW State library on 16 February 2018
- Spoke on “Getting serious about refugee self-representation” at the Refugee Alternate Conference jointly organized by the University of Melbourne and the Refugee Council of Australia, 13-14 Feb 18.
Some of the speaking engagements in 2017 include:
- Panelist at the University of New South wales (UNSW) Grand Challenges: Debt, opportunity and the modern refugee, 4 December 2017
- Speaker on Strength-Based Approach to Refugee Settlement at the Advancing Community Cohesion Conference organised by Western Sydney University held on 20-22 November 2017
- Guest speaker on Leadership to students undertaking the Humanitarian Leadership Programme at Deakin University, Melbourne – 4 November 2017
- Key note speaker at the Fairfield Spring Festival – 12 Oct 17
- Guest Speaker on Strength-Based Approach to Refugee Settlement at Blacktown City Council, 5 October 2017
- Guest Speaker on Strength-Based Approach to Refugee Settlement at the Symposium on Surviving to Thriving: Refugee Journeys – 4 Oct 17
- Guest Speaker at the Amnesty International Australia Forum – 27 Sept 17
- Panelist at the Western Sydney Domestic & Family Violence Conference 2017 – 19 Sept 17
- Guest speaker on Strength-Based Approach to Refugee Settlement to Master’s degree students studying Humanitarian Settlement unit at Deakin University – 19 Sept 17
- Chair of the Pathways to economic participation session at the Cultural Shift Conference – 10-11 Aug 17
- Guest speaker on Strength-Based Approach to Refugee Settlement at the Cairns Bhutanese Symposium – 11 Jul 17
- Guest speaker on Strength-Based Approach to Refugee Settlement at the Salvation Army Refugee Week celebration – 20 Jun 17
- Panelist at the Capacity building refugee communities: How to facilitate a better recovery environment? session at the 1st Australia and New Zealand Refugee Trauma Recovery in Resettlement Conference – 29-31 March 2017
- Addressed the opening session at the Refugee Alternate Conference jointly organized by the University of NSW and the Refugee Council of Australia – 21-22 Feb 17.
“Take the journey to fulfilment: Dependence to Independence to Interdependence”